I have been asked….what did you take? How did you pack?
I knew from the beginning that I would have time to exercise! My goal is to do something everyday. And I don’t always run. When at a hotel with a gym, I take advantage of cross-training. When I can’t run or decide not to run, I know Fitness Blender will provide me with a quality work-out via streaming. I have started streaming yoga classes on-line but still miss my Akasha Studio in California. There is always core work (those dreaded push-ups and sit-ups). And when nothing else seems appealing, the stairs workout is a great option (because there are always stairs at hotels/apartments)!
- I looked for shirts that would dry easily if washed in the shower (washers are not a guarantee). Luckily I purchased a quick-dry selection in the day before we left! Good move on my part.
- I planned on using sports bra twice before washing. I usually hang them out to “air” after each wearing. I chose my sports bra based on fit; but one takes longer to air dry after washing. Not the best move on my part.
- I chose capris/shorts with zipper back pockets and side pockets to carry phone/hotel key/money so I wouldn’t need to carry a flip-belt. One of my shorts has stretching on the side pockets (those shorts are a couple of years old) and I may have to replace them. I have two shorts (one upper thigh and one mid-thigh) and one knee-length capris.
- I looked for items that were multiple-functional. The running capris needed to be able to work as “touring” pants. At least two of my shirts could be worn as “touring shirts”. I don’t like wearing sports bra as “regular” bras, but I could if needed. Running/athletic socks could be worn with my walking shoes (although my 14 yo cringes at the bright colors).
- For running shoes, I chose my trusty Nike Frees as my running shoe. I also brought my trail shoes (Brooks Cascadia) for hiking.
- I added in a hat, my garmin, wireless earbuds (good for airplane travel also), and a hand carry water bottle.
- I am 7 weeks into this journey and I have used every piece of athletic gear multiple times. I have had to wash some exercise gear in the shower, but I definitely didn’t over or under pack.